I could bang on about the health benefits of omega 3 fatty acids until the cows come home….in fact I probably have in earlier posts. I could also bang on about the multitude of other great nutritional reasons to eat this salad…#fibre #potassium #vitaminsA&C ###….
……here’s what I will bang on about….Time.
Sometimes making healthy choices isn’t so much about availability it’s about the timeframe you have to work with. You are wise, you are wonderful and you know what it is that you need to fuel your body with to keep it strong and healthy and able to do all the things you ask of it (it’s not rocket science). Just knowing isn’t enough, life gets in the way. Pick ups, drop offs, work, school, home, so many things can become obstacles to making choices that benefit your health. So here are some tips to help you along…
- Stock your fridge and pantry with the ingredients for a fast and easy breakfast/lunch/dinner on the go. Think leaves, smoked fish, tuna, salmon, nuts, fruit.
- Prep like a chef. Have takeaway type containers in your fridge/pantry with the makings of a meal all ready to go. Wash and prepare salad leaves, roast root vegetables, toast nuts and store them in air tight containers, poach some chicken, grill some lamb – and have it all there ready there to grab and go.
- Make it more of an effort to eat unhealthily….don’t buy the unhealthy snack foods or if you do, keep them in a hard to reach place. If you have everything prepped and ready to go in your fridge and pantry and you don’t have anything else on hand the healthy option turns into the easiest one.
- Plan ahead….if you have even a basic idea of what you are going to consume for the day it not only stops you from thinking about the unhealthy options but it can give you something to look forward to.
- Make food that you enjoy…sounds a bit simple but how nice is it to look forward to a meal that you know you’ll enjoy rather than think about what you may be missing out on.
I can’t give you the gift of extra time but what I can do is give you this little gem of a recipe for 1 that can be doubled and tripled to feed a handful and not take too much extra time.
I know it’s a parenting no-no or some such other bollocks to create two meals, one for the kids and one for the adults, but sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do. This is my go to recipe for when the kids are hankering for something I just don’t have the stomach for.
I always have some leaves, feta and smoked fish in the fridge and usually have a piece of fruit in the bowl that can be quickly sliced up. This takes a lazy 10 minutes to put together (and I’m being very generous with the time here…you could be done in 5 if you’re fast on the knife) the key is to always keep a small stock of fresh ingredients on hand. Healthy choices are much easier to make if you have all that you need on hand and if whipping them up takes less time than any of the other choices that you might make. I think there’s a phrase for that somewhere…keep it simple.
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Yield : 1
To prepare the pear slice into quarters and then trim the tops and the tails off each quarter. Cut the core off of each piece and then thinly slice.
Place the washed rocket leaves into a large bowl with the sliced pear and crumble the feta over the top.
Place the ingredients for the dressing into a cup and stir to combine then pour over the top of the rocket, pear and feta. Use your hands to mix the dressing through the rest of the salad ingredients.
To serve, place the salas ingredients onto a plate and then break up the ocean trout into pieces and scatter over the top of the salad.